8 ways to deal with Cognitive Distortion
We are familiar with the concept of Cognitive Distortion. Negative filters, inaccurate perceptions, overgeneralizations, etc., are referred to as “Cognitive Distortion." It can develop due to experiencing some unpropitious events.
Knowing the problem is the first step towards the solution. Staying in the dark will never help you achieve your goal. So, if you can detect your problem, then you are stepping in the right direction.
In this article, you will learn about eight ways to deal with cognitive distortions:
1. Positive thinking: We know how our mind works when everything goes wrong around us. Therefore, it is very strenuous to have positive thoughts during our bad days. Negative thinking can only worsen the situation; however, focusing on a positive interpretation of an event can help. Do not be critical of yourself or others. Instead, be kind, observe your caliber, and believe in yourself.
Example: Let's suppose it is raining outside and you are stuck inside your home. If your mind works negatively, you might take it as you are stuck and heavy rain ruined your day. It can irritate you. However, a positive mindset will allow you to enjoy the rain while staying at home. You can admire the beauty of nature and have a warm cup of tea. You can also utilize some me-time.
2. Control your emotions: You are the captain of your ship. It's perfectly normal to get overwhelmed by any unfortunate event. But getting carried away with those emotions will only keep hurting you. Give yourself some time, put your baggage aside and move on.
Example: In a bad situation, try to take a deep breath and tell yourself that it will pass. Remember, most of our problems are a result of our reaction to any event. The way we react depends on how we feel about it. So, stay calm and relax.
3. Select realistic goals: Make sure your goals are achievable. Running for unrealistic goals might disappoint you and make you feel demotivated. Instead, evaluate properly and work accordingly. You can, and you will achieve all your objectives. Be patient.
4. Professional help: Everybody deals with their problems differently and it is outstanding. Some might find out the problem and solve it quickly, and some might not react the same. When we are unable to solve our problems, we must go for professional help. People are way more aware of mental health now, which is a great sign. Don't get afraid of taking assistance from professionals.
5. Ignore intrusive thoughts: Thoughts come to our minds naturally
. The issues only occur when we attend to them and react. To deal with cognitive distortions, ignore your intrusive thoughts deliberately.
6. Exercise: Regular exercise is another way to deal with psychological issues. It produces good hormones in our body, which gives us energy and motivation. Studies prove that a person tends to think positively when his mood is fresh and feels more energetic.
Examples: Examples of different exercises are walking, jogging, running, yoga, cardio, or high-intensity workouts.
7. Identify your triggers: Triggers play an essential role in how we react to a situation. Identify your triggers and work on those. For example, if a person is afraid of roads and sees a vehicle, his heart starts racing. He must seek professional help if it is severe or handle it gradually if he can.
8. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): You might have heard about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, commonly known as CBT. CBT is one of the most frequently used treatments in psychology. Though it's based on simple principles, it can have positive outcomes when put into practice. The psychologist will alter your behaviors by dealing with your cognitions. For example, your negative thoughts will be replaced with positive ones, etc.
Bottom line: Dealing with cognitive distortions is not easy, but it's also not impossible. If you can understand how we can change our minds and thinking patterns, you can get rid of these distortions.